Mom Blog From Home may earn money or products from the companies or products mentioned in this post. This is at no extra cost to you. For more information please see the Disclosure Page found in the bottom menu.
How to Make Money with a New Blog – The Steps I Took to Make $346 on My New Blog
When I first started my blog my goal was to make money. I wanted to see if I could make money with a new blog or make money at all! I have always been drawn to blogging and I thought it was so interesting. One of the interesting points for me was that you could make money while staying home. We have one daughter and my husband has always worked long hours so it has always fallen on me to take care of everything. That probably isn’t far off from most moms that do it all and they may have more than one child but we lived far from family and I had no one to help me when I needed it.
I would work all day and then be the only one that was cleaning, cooking, caring for our daughter, and well-keeping everything going! My husband is the hardest working person I know and when he got home it was time for bed just to do it all over again.
I loved the idea of me being able to stay at home with our daughter and making money online. So I started to do a lot of research and boy is there a lot of information out there!
Learning How to Blog
I tried and gave up blogging several times. It just wasn’t the right time for me but I never stopped dreaming about having one. In August of 2016, we moved to Georgia from Kansas and I took a job as a receptionist. Then in 2017, I was laid off from my receptionist job when the company closed down so I decided to take the summer off and spend it with my daughter. She was 7 at the time and loved to spend time with her friends playing so I had free time and decided now was a great time to take another crack at blogging!
Luckily, I came across this awesome course that walked me through starting my blog. I was excited to see that everything was much easier than years ago so when I first tried blogging! After many changes to my design and my niche it all finally came together and I officially launched it in September of 2017!
Driving Traffic to My Blog
I had spent the summer working on my blog, spending time with my daughter and helping my husband with his side lawn care business. Once fall came we were still very busy with the lawn care, birthdays, Holidays, and we took a family vacation to Disney. So once it all calmed down in January I kicked my blog into high gear.
I followed this Pinterest strategy and was able to take my blog traffic from 300 page views a month to over 5,000 a month in less than 30 days!
Things Were Looking Good
Even with the trickle of traffic I had at the beginning, I had already started to make money with a new blog. Then my email list doubled with all the new traffic in January. It was all coming together!
Until the flu hit my daughter and I hard at the end of January. Also, I was offered the lead teaching position at a private school to help them through the rest of the school year. I took the position after healing from the flu and life got a bit crazy again.
It was great to help out the school however, it did put a ding into my blogging “business”. I still was able to rake in a little more money even with my traffic slowly trickling down. From August of 2017-May of 2018, I was still able to make $346.84!
Making Money Blogging
Now, if you followed along with me you will see that I did not put blood sweat and tears every day into my blog for 10 months to only get $346.84. I still lived life and worked on it very much part-time and was still able to make a chunk of change.
I can only imagine what I would have made had I not taken all of the Fall off, gotten so deathly sick with the flu, or taken the teaching job. That is the furthest I had ever made it blogging so I call that a success!
My goal was to launch my blog by my birthday in October and I was a whole month early. My other goal was to start making ANY income from my blog and I was able to do that before I even technically launched my blog!
Affiliate Marketing Sales
All of the income I made during that time was from affiliate marketing. I was able to start bringing in some money fairly quickly without dedicating that much time. Again, imagine if I would have been more vigilant!
August 2017-May 19, 2018
- Siteground – $100
- Start a Mom Blog – $113.84
- Moms Make Cents – $88.50
- Elegant Themes – $44.50
- Total — $ 346.84
My niche is helping moms start their own blogs. I love to share what I have learned and pass it on to other moms with the same dream as mine, being a work from home mommy! The hosting I use for my blog is Siteground, the courses I promote are from Start a Mom Blog, and Moms Make Cents, the WordPress theme I use is Divi by Elegant Themes. That is where my sales came from, sharing those affiliate links in my blog posts.
My traffic at the beginning was small then I had a huge month in January and then from flu to full-time job my traffic slowly trickled down.
I would say that the main thing that has saved me and helped me earn any money at all has been my email list. Of course, Tailwind and Pinterest have been a huge help as well for getting traffic to my blog but I tried hard to stay up with my email list to keep the list warm and not let it go cold while I was teaching.
How to Use Affiliate Marketing on Your Blog
Here is a quick break down of what you need to be able to earn affiliate sales with your blog.
Set Up Your Blog
- First, you need a blog if you don’t have one already.
- You can check out my free 30-day guide to starting a blog or check out Suzi’s course that I took to learn everything you need to know.
- If you are ready to just jump right in, then you can get hosting and a domain name with HostGator and get up to 60% off using my Promo Code – MBFH2020
- Check out this blog post for a quick walkthrough on how to start your blog.
- Set up your email service provider.
Implement Affiliate Marketing
- Sign up for affiliate programs.
- There are SO many affiliate programs out there. You can be an affiliate for almost anything. A good one to start with is Amazon since they have such a wide variety of products. Then you can promote any product you want or you can go directly to a company you want to promote and join their affiliate program. The best way to find out if a company offers an affiliate program is to scroll to the bottom of their homepage. Most of them have an affiliate link at the bottom of their homepage. Also, you can search for the product+affiliate on Google.
- This is a great eBook on how to really get the most out of affiliate marketing on Amazon!
- Then of course if you are ready to invest and learn from the best on affiliate marketing you can take Michelle’s course. She makes over $125,000 a month blogging. In her course, she breaks down all you need to know to master affiliate marketing.
- Write great blog posts and add your affiliate links.
- Now that you have a blog and are signed up as an affiliate you just need to share your link with your readers. After signing up as an affiliate you were given a link. That link tracks the sales you send to that company and the company pays you for sending them paying customers. To share your link with your readers, you write a blog post about a product or company and insert your affiliate link! Make sure your post is informative and not just salesy! Make sure to write good quality blog posts that solve a problem or give great information for your readers. When suitable insert your affiliate link.
- Disclosure of affiliate links.
- You will also have to disclose your affiliate links. There is a great plugin that you can install into your blog that will add this disclosure to the top of every blog post. You can have it say something like “Mom Blog From Home may earn a commission for purchases made after clicking links on this page”. Also, create a disclosure page on your blog to let your readers know that you have affiliate links on your blog. You need to be open and honest with them that you receive commission or compensation for sales after clicking your link. Here is my disclosure page.
- Offer an awesome freebie to gain email subscribers.
- To gain email subscribers you want to offer them something to sign up. Most are not going to just sign up because you have a Sign Up Here link. They probably won’t sign up for your weekly newsletter either. However, they will sign up if you have something to offer for free! Like here is a FREE list of Facebook Groups to join and their Promo Days to promote your new blog! Give them something for free in exchange for their email address.
- Drive Traffic to your blog.
- Joining Facebook Groups are a good way to promote your blog and drive traffic to it but an even better way is Pinterest. Pinterest is a very powerful tool! An even more powerful tool is Tailwind (try it free for a month!) that pins to Pinterest for you! This makes life so much easier! Instead of spending hours pinning yourself it will pin for you! I can honestly say that is why I gained over 5,000 page views in one month.
- Mastering Pinterest is one of the most important steps in having a successful blog. It sends traffic to your new blog right away! Learn more from these blog posts.
As a new blogger, to get yourself some sales I would suggest to write a few good blog posts and include your affiliate links. Have your email marketing provider set up and able to gain subscribers by offering a freebie to your readers. Then drive as much traffic to your blog as you can with Tailwind and Pinterest. You will also need to have a business account on Pinterest, don’t use your personal account. Again, I walk you through how I did it all right here!
Continue to add blog posts to your blog and to email your list weekly. The more content you create the more sales you will make!
The Best Advice: Just start!
I used to worry about my blog not being perfect or sending people to it not finished…but you are losing out on sales waiting for your blog to be perfect. Just get it up and running, add affiliate links and take email addresses, and you are good to go!
Start driving traffic to it as soon as you can! Then, don’t leave your email subscribers to just sit there and forget about why they signed up. Keep sending them great information in a weekly email and keep them warm. This helped me so when one of my affiliates ran a sale I was able to send out an email letting my list know. Then when they got my email they weren’t thinking “Who is this?” Or all she does is send out sales pitches. I kept in touch with them and then let them know of a sale without feeling guilty.
You can do this!